The Monson Community Garden
- About the Monson Community Garden
- Established 2011, just in time for the tornado and Snowtober. Founder, and guide through its formative years, was David Ramsey. Parking is at 33 Ely Rd, Monson MA.
- News and Announcements
- The garden is put to bed with a healthy crop of winter rye. Have a great winter!
- Application Form
- If you had a plot in 2016, you should get a new application in the mail in late winter. In case you don't, and for reference by all, here is the application form for the 2017 season, to be downloaded and printed, then filled out, signed and mailed with a check. Please note that the application deadline for returning gardeners is now April 1. After that date garden plots will be offered to new applicants.
- Information and General Guidelines
- These are the rules you're agreeing to follow when you sign your application, revised for 2017.
- Plot Assignment Map
- This was the plot layout for 2016 as a hand-drawn map by another resident artist, Dave Ramsey. Note that North is down, so you're looking at the garden as if you were standing at the parking lot.
- Pre-Season Meeting TBA: Every year we meet to address questions, concerns and plans for the coming season, typically in late April or early May. This will be an opportunity to meet this season's Gardeners, and there'll be plot plans printed for everyone who wants one.
- Garden Preparation TBA: Once the soil thaws and dries, we'll be rototilling, marking borders, and laying in the irrigation system. Please help if you can.
- Garden Opening TBA: If you're starting plants at home, you should plan for a Garden opening in mid-May, although this will depend upon the soil being dry enough to roto-till without compacting it.
Facilities and Equipment
- We're lucky; not every community garden has this. There are, of course, alternatives once your crops are tall enough.
- Irrigation System
- Again, we're lucky. For one, we have water on tap. For two, we deliver that water directly to the garden, with a faucet at the corner of every four plots.
- Storage Shed
- We have a lockable shed filled with gardening tools. Every gardener gets a key for the season.
- A 4-cycle Mantis tiller is in the shed for everyone's use. Lessons are available from Dave or other fellow gardeners. Easy to operate and a huge help in preparing your beds as well as weeding your paths.
- We now own a vintage Ingersoll tractor with attachments for mowing, cultivating, rolling and spreading. Volunteers are always welcome at the start and close of the season!
- Have extra stuff to share? We'll announce it here!
- Photos, artwork, albums. Please contribute your own, in whatever format you can, and we'll make it work.
- Instructions for anything garden-related. Please contribute yours!
- Please contribute your own, in whatever format you can (paper is fine, too).
About this website
- It started with an email announcement, which mostly still applies. Comments and contributed content welcome.
Contact Ted Ruegsegger with comments, questions, contributions: